We’re constantly looking for new ways to protect your privacy on the internet. Browser extensions can be a divisive issue when it comes to privacy, as there are malicious actors that use Chrome extensions to collect user data. However, we have identified these extensions that are widely regarded as reliable and useful tools.
Try these out and let us know what you think!
HTTPS Everywhere makes it easy to browse the web with more security. If a website supports HTTPS, the extension automatically redirects the site to its secure, HTTPS version.
Encrypt the Web! Automatically use HTTPS security on many sites. HTTPS Everywhere is an extension created by EFF and the Tor Project which automatically switches thousands of sites from insecure “http” to secure “https”. It will protect you against many forms of surveillance and account hijacking, and some forms of censorship.
View HTTPS Everywhere in Chrome Web Store
Click&Clean makes it simple and easy to delete data about your internet use. It lets you delete typed URLs, browser cache, cookies, browsing history and more with a single click.
Click&Clean is an innovative and totally free solution for you PC, Mac or Chromebook, that will help you to:
- Scan your PC for Malware
- Delete your Browsing history
- Remove your Download History
- Erase Temporary Files
- Clear Cookies and Empty Cache
- Delete Client-side Web SQL Databases
- Remove Flash Cookies (LSOs)
Click&Clean helps protect your privacy by cleaning up all traces of your internet activity.
View Click&Clean in Chrome Web Store
J2Team Security offers a range of privacy and security protection in a single package. Its main goal is to “protect you from phishing and malware websites with real-time protection technology.
- Real-time protection
- Block malware, phishing and scam websites
- Anti-Clickjacking (hidden like buttons)
- Prevent Self-XSS on Facebook
- Force HTTPS on Blogger/Blogspot
Privacy on Facebook:
- Block the “seen” feature of the chat
- Block the typing indicator of the chat
- Block the typing indicator of comments
- Hide your active time in chat
- Block Facebook Pixel (tracking script)
- Stop Facebook Timeline (on News Feed)
- Show time spend on Facebook
- Dark Theme for Facebook, Google and Youtube
- Test your security settings on Facebook
- Facebook Object Ranking
- Custom your blocklist
- Report abuse websites (from context menus)
View J2Team Security in Chrome Web Store
Avast Online Security
Avast is a well-known player in the internet privacy and security space – providing anti-virus and other security software. Along with privacy protection, this extension lets you rate websites depending on your experience, for other users to use as a basis for their own security.
Avast-powered security for your Google Chrome browser.
Browse without worry or fear with Avast in your corner: we’ll check every site you visit, from Facebook to your bank, to ensure nothing puts you or your data at risk. We stop phishing attacks, show user reviews, and warn you if a site is deemed untrustworthy by our community of 400 million.
- Identifies and blocks phishing sites trying to steal your data
- See how website has been rated by a growing community of 400 million Avast users
- Easily check the rating of any website just by hovering over the link
- Warns you when you’re visiting websites with bad reputations
- Rate a website effortlessly, marking them with a thumbs up or a thumbs down, to help other users know where to avoid
- If you have Avast Secure Browser installed, we’ll open it automatically when you shop or bank online to help protect your data
- Blocks annoying tracking cookies that collect data on your browsing activities
View Avast Online Security in Chrome Web Store
FlowCrypt adds a SECURE COMPOSE button to Gmail and Google Inbox. This way, you can send PGP encrypted emails when you choose so.
Whether you have struggled with other ways to encrypt gmail or you are trying gmail encryption for the first time, you will find this a very simple PGP solution.
PGP stands for Pretty Good Privacy it’s the standard for secure email encryption. This gmail end-to-end encryption plugin lets you encrypt gmail messages anytime your email security and privacy matters, without having to think about it.
Email PGP encryption has been historically a very difficult area, which only a few people did because there was no easy PGP solution around. If you were asked for a Public Key or a PubKey so that others can encrypt messages for you, just install FlowCrypt and you will find your new Public Key in the settings.
View FlowCrypt in Chrome Web Store
Keep your searches private by redirecting them to Search Encrypt, the privacy-focused search engine.
The Search Encrypt extension expires your searches from your local browser history and encrypts your search terms between your computer and searchencrypt.com. Searches are intercepted, encrypted locally, and redirected to our privacy-enhanced search engine.
- Search Encrypt checks the URL of each website you visit (this data is not logged or stored anywhere)
- For your privacy, Search Encrypt intercepts the requests if it’s on our list of sites
- Search Encrypt encrypts your search locally using industry standard AES-256 encryption
- Your locally encrypted search term is securely transmitted to our servers
- To provide you with the most relevant results possible, we then decrypt your search term and securely request results from our search & content partners
- We aggregate the most relevant results and securely display them to you
For added security, your local browsing history for any search we protect expires and cannot be viewed after 30 minutes of inactivity.
View Search Encrypt in Chrome Web Store